Friday, June 26, 2009

Not a Dangerous Thriller

When I was old enough to have my own room, I sort of inherited it from my elder siblings. They had a variety of posters in their room because I think that's what kids used to do back then. Now, I removed the Samantha Fox and Bruce Sprigsteen posters because staring at a chic in her drawers was never my thing. However, I let one poster stand. It looked exactly like the one pictured above.

Cause I knew who Michael Jackson was before I could even read or write.

There were many pop acts and artists who were the rage when I was growing up. However, no one was as big as Michael Jackson. Most of my good childhood memories have some kind of Jackson song playing in the background.

Whether it was being thrown out of class and being punished because I wrote the lyrics to Black or White instead of my cursive writing assignment . . .

. . . Or playing basketball with Jam blaring from the boombox.  (Oh, and the song was a pop culture phenomenon. It had the other MJ, Micheal Jordan and who could miss Kriss Kross!!)

I even remember watching him perform during the Grammy awards (back when they actually meant something) in 1988, on bootleg video of the DD broadcast!

 

My and my cousins were actually put his performance on repeat and were dancing along.

When I think about it, it seems so lame. At that time we thought were so cool and so funny! 

 

Hey, we didn't have cable TV or the internet. So how was a brother supposed to pass time?

 

Anyway, some of his songs told me stuff about me which even I didn't know was true!

Seems so ironic now.

Maybe these songs remind me of a time when I wasn't such a cynical, jaded, smartass gasbag. Maybe it's because these songs were our symbol of rebellion, PG-13 style.

Before yesterday, when someone thought of Michael Jackson, it was usually his Wacko Jacko persona.

However, he will be remembered by most people as someone who made great music.

I'd like to say that maybe we will learn from this. Maybe we won't make other children go through the life he went through. Maybe people will finally realize that that fame, celebrity and notoriety is not for everyone. I've read a lot of comments at various places which says that when people become famous, they sign up for the tsunami which is going to change their lives. That it's okay to dehumanise someone because they are rich and famous. Surely there is no schadenfreude behind such a train of thought?

Yes, the jokes and the sleazy tabloid stories will come tomorrow. People will huff and puff for a few minutes while pretend-serious media outlets will cover those stories while their anchors feign outrage all the way to the bank. Even in death, the Michael Jackson story is going to make a lot of people a lot of money.

But today, I'd just like to . . .

 

R.I.P.

8 comments:

Rakesh said...

King of Pop or Whacko Jacko - just 2 sides of the same coin. Its just too unfortunate that a man with as much talent and as much command over the entire world, who could utilize his power for good, just let it go to waste. Fame or shame, he will always be a legend.

Just call me 'A' said...

I don't care what the tabloid will say tomorrow, I don't care if people called him Whacko Jacko...for me he will only be Michael Jackson the artist, the musician. He introduced me to music and dance. He is a phenomenon.

Rambunctious WhipperSnapper said...

@Rakesh: Whether Wacko Jacko is a pedo is something we'll never know. However, he did do a lot of good for African children. And he was the one who came up with the "We are the world" thing. Now that he's gone, I hope I can forget Wacko Jacko and just remember the singer.

@A: My sentiments exactly.

Anonymous said...

Oh geeeeeez, I feel so... YOUNG!
I mean, when was this guy THAT much of a revolution anyway?

*Puts Thriller on download*

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Beautifully written Ramby. Touching and real (now there's something I never thought I'd write here ;p )

But his passing is really so sad. He was so much a part of our wonder years.

RIP, MJ.

Rakesh said...

@USP: MJ was like GOD right around the time you were born. In 20 yrs no one has been able to achieve the status that MJ achieved. BTW: I played a remix of his Earthsong while DJing at the Pink Party in Castro on Saturday for SF Pride and the crowd of thousands of people went wild!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I SO wanna hear all about that evening! Can't wait for saturday :-*

Rambunctious WhipperSnapper said...

@USP: Well, I didn't even realize all this until he died, so I guess he did have a lot of impact. Also, instead of thriller I'd download bad or dangerous. (They are album names, btw!) Although, thriller is good too.

@Mamma Mia: Thanks! See, I can be surprising sometimes! . . . Yes, he was a big part of our wonder years. And in a good way. RIP, indeed.

@Rakesh: Wow . . . Must have been a fun gig! So you DJ? And how about some pictures from that event?

@USP: What's on Saturday? WHY DOES NO ONE TELL ME ANYTHING?